After texturing and painting all of the exposed foam and also adding treads to the stairs, the set is almost complete!
Adding some built-in bookshelves with accessories, some finished furniture, and now the set is starting to take shape!
For the windows I used some clear plexiglass that I roughed up with some sandpaper to give it a frosted look.
I glued tissue paper onto the plexiglass to give it a more wavy glass texture.
I then traced a pattern onto the plexiglass.
After coloring in the pattern with some alcohol markers I then used trimmed the plexiglass with some painted balsa wood. The black lines are traced using black fabric marker to give it a leaded glass look.
After installing the windows and adding a bit of back lighting, we have ourselves a couple of stained glass windows!
Adding some more accessories and the set is ready for animation!
Using some 2x2s, some wood screws and glue.
Then topping it off with a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood and we have our stage platform.
A sheet of 1/4 inch ply wood with some window holes cut in.
Glued on some foam board and peeled off the top paper layer to expose the foam.
Using a stamp that I created with some Sculpey polymer clay I stamped out a stone texture. I emphasized the texture with a wood clay tool.
This is the beginnings of a stairwell.
The foam board stairwell in then glued onto a sheet of 1/4 inch plywood.
The plywood is then finished off with a layer of foam board.
Some foam board, balsa wood, and a bit of glue.
Along with some card stock and washers for detail.
Finally some paint and detail work and we have ourselves a couple of hutches!
This is the Merlin puppet as it went through it’s stages of construction.
Here is Merlin’s brass and steel armature.
Foam padding is added to fill out the body.
The head is painted and cloths are added.
The finished puppet complete with hair and eyes.
These are the hand and foot models that I create for the Merlin Jones puppet. I used these models to 3D print hands and feet that I used to create molds for silicone castings.
This is a breakdown of Merlin’s head rig.
This is the first fully rigged character that I have ever developed. I used it on a short film project called “Backyard Football“.
Figure study of the foot. Charcoal on paper 24″ x 18″ May 2015.
Figure study. 18″ x 25″ charcoal on paper, May 2015.
Anatomy study of the pelvis. Charcoal on paper September 2015.